Had my first interview today, at UC Santa Barbara. It was 30 minutes with 2 profs asking me fairly predictable questions, which I responded to with alternating witty, and unwitting answers, with a few points where I had no idea what I was saying. Hopefully it came off well. They did like my TMNT-themed personal statement though.
The prof I want to work with there was avuncular and laid-back. Finances seem a little iffy, but I talked to a current student who had a pretty good set-up. Apartments are pricey, and there are no 3 bedroom apts. in the MUCH cheaper family housing, and in-unit washer/dryers are almost unheard of.
3 more interviews to go on this trip.
Also, spent some time with an old friend (and her husband) whom I had not seen in 5+ years.
Any school would be lucky to have such a smart, introspective student!
ReplyDeleteum...what does avuncular mean? wasn't this blog supposed to be geared towards the masses aka matt shelby and i? thanks for reminding us all why you're the phd student and we're not. good times.
ReplyDeleteHah! yeah, well, okay. Sorry about that. It was one of those times where I was thinking "hmm how do I describe this," and then the word came to mind. I did have to look it up first though.
ReplyDeleteI did laugh when you referred to you and matt shelby as "the masses" Lol.
"avuncular" - 1-kind and friendly toward a younger or less experienced person. 2-of or relating to an uncle.
Take your pick which one you like better. :)