Finally things are starting up with the sure-to-be smash hit "issues and ethics" class! I've been waiting for so long for class to start I think I'd go to a class in the history cross stiching if it was available. No offence to cross-stitchers.
My 2 bits on Senator Craig -- 1st bit: Why are cops going undercover to catch latently gay men in bathrooms? Is this a problem? If it is, then see the 2nd bit. 2nd bit: Why the heck are these guys choosing dirty airport bathrooms? Are there not better (and cleaner) places for this?
Monday, September 3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
a friend of mine used to work for U of U police and he had that duty in the Union Bldg. among other places. He busted a guy who had his g's in a gym bag. The perp said he was in a bishopric and he would be exed if he was busted. My friend busted him anyway.
ReplyDeleteI think the police do this because most people find it distressing to enter a public facility and have certain things going on that ought not to in a public place.
What is there about two adults making mutually agreed upon arrangements to engage in legal but immoral sex that makes a public restroom any more distressing than it already is? What is there about two adults making mutually agreed upon arrangements to engage in legal but immoral sex that is more offensive when done by two homosexuals in a public restroom than when it is done by two heterosexuals in a public bar?
ReplyDeleteSen. Craig was convicted of (if I read the story properly) Criminal Mischief. That's the same category that public urination and toilet-papering someone yard are in. It is much less severe than domestic violence or driving under the influence of alcohol. I strongly suspect that many of the other members of the Senate have convictions in their past, most of which are worse than this. So why is such a big deal being made of Sen. Craig's situation? Is the Senate defending their honor (do they have any honor left to defend?) or are they simply gay-bashing?
Personally I don't care about the "agreed upon arrangements". However, apparently there has been a history of these guys actually making those arrangements for the bathroom stall itself, which should be (and is, I think) illegal.
ReplyDeleteAs for the reactions by politicians, I think they have to criticize Craig, espcially the republican canidates. None of that "silent assent" stuff happening before the primaries.
I am confused here, when did it become legal in a public restroom? Yes, arrnagements could be made but was that his intent or was it to jump the wall and engage in that place in between flights?
ReplyDeleteFrom my understanding about this from two friends (cops) who worked vice I am believing the event and not just arrangements are made in the public restroom.
Personally I am uncomfortable around the passionately engaged who exhibit familiarity including kissing etc. in public.
It is not a gay issue for me but a human issue.
The big deal for Senator Craig is he is a right wing, family values, Republican who is at least guilty of gross hypocrisy.
Well said. I agree that "intent" is a factor in this, just like it is in many other issues.
ReplyDelete