I'm going to be a part-time stay-at-home dad! Maybe LG isn't too excited about it...but it will be interesting! N and I have decided that she is going to substitute teach 2-3 days a week (the pay is over $15 an hour, and it's really flexible), and I'm going to take care of LG during those times. Our schedule is going to be crazy--we'll be busy from 7 am to 8pm M-F.
For those traditionalists out there who are thinking "Oh no, LG is going to get messed up now", or "Adam is a slacker and an infidel who doesn't provide for his family (see 1 Timothy 5:8), you may be right.
I am, however, excited that I'll get to spend some more time with him--especially as he begins to form attachments to things other than the TV (we've had to put our foot down on that one). And now that he got his exersaucer, along with his newfound love of sucking on his feet, there is plenty to keep him entertained with.
I have also decided that when N is at work, and it's just me and LG, I (despite his protestations) am definitely the one who presides!
Tuesday, August 28
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good for you and N for doing what needs to be done to pay the bills!
ReplyDeleteI don't think that a couple counseling together and deciding what works best for them to support themselves is a bad thing, no matter what 1 timothy says.
It is interesting the stigma that LDS give to those dads who stay at home while the wife works for whatever reasons. I particularly love the phrase in the proclamation to the family, where it says, "Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation." As Allie said, when a couple counsels with each other and decides what is best for their family situation, then that is the thing that they should do.
ReplyDeleteNow about that presiding thing...
You may preside whilst you are alone with LG, but it is LG who will conduct the meeting, I'll bet.
ReplyDeleteDang. You're probably right. LG pretty much conducts everything right now.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome opportunity for you and LG. Seems very very sad to think of all the generations of men who have been deprived, for whatever reason, of the opportunity to provide day-to-day nurturing and parenting of their children. LG will learn from you that, contrary to some messages still unfortunately prevalent in society, men are not limited or deficient in their ability to provide loving care and this will help him be a more secure, capable man himself.
ReplyDeleteOh- and I'm happy to admit that there are some things that Eddie is much better at than I am. If CP is having a hard time going to sleep, I can rock him straight through until morning, but Eddie has him asleep in two minutes flat!
ReplyDeleteFun! That will be a nice time away for N too, I'm sure, to remeber that she has an identity besides "mom". It has always been my opinion that the choices you make together in the best interest of your family, and under the direction of the Spirit, will be good choices. Schooling is expensive and surviving it sometimes calls for adaptations in the ideal plans.
ReplyDelete