
Speaker in church said that God didn't use words like awesome or cool. What a bunchofhooey. If I ever get to create a world, on the 7th day I'm totally saying, "dudes, I am stoked for this world!"
The women folk made crepes for lunch. Ice-cream in my last one, which was good, but I dumped too much powdered sugar on top, and risked falling into a sugar coma.
Steak for dinner. Cookies. Potatoes. More cookies. Head hurting.
Cupcakes, with of all things cookie dough in the center. Must. Stop.
Worked the Guitar Hero drums for the first time. Pretended that people were watching me, and were impressed. Thought about my narcicism.
Read some books with LG.
I don't get the speaker's point. Unless it was that God is not a native English language speaker, then I think it's a pretty good point.
ReplyDeleteBut I also don't understand how Guitar Hero is so much fun...and I mean that sincerely, not in any criticism of those who enjoy it, it's just a game with a guitar-shaped joystick, as far as I can tell. If people have all that time to play fake guitars, and money to buy the game(s), why wouldn't they rather practice playing a real guitar instead? Especially these days when you can find a YouTube video that will teach you how to play almost any classic riff you can think of? They could just as well be standing in their living rooms, pretending to be J. Page or Eddie or Slash or Nancy Wilson or B.B. King, with a *real* guitar.
I love karaoke, which is sort of fake too, but at least it requires use and/or abuse of a real voice box.
Lol, spoken like a true guitar player! It is in their nature to not understand the fakery. :) It sounds like you haven't played it though...
ReplyDeleteFor me, it's the fun with friends aspect that I really like, and it really does provide somewhat of a rush, with a two-day rather than two-year learning curve. Plus, it has karaoke built in with it now....
I don't like the guitar on guitar hero. The drums are fun though.
ReplyDeleteI don't think there's any way we can know if God uses certain words or not. I have a hard time imagining that He says "awesome" or "cool", but my lack of imagination doesn't mean he doesn't. People are way to quick to make assumptions about God.
(what was the topic of the talk?)
Our Father's day meeting was "awesome"! We had 2 youth speakers (YW) that both did incredible jobs. The 2nd spoke of being in the temple with her family (they have 13 kids, not all were able to attend though) for the sealing of the youngest, who was the only to be adopted. This was this YW's first time inside the temple beyond baptisms for the dead. She filled the room to overflowing with the spirit with her account, amazing.
ReplyDeleteIn any case, now that she is out of high school, she has been attending R.S. She said the following in her talk, just prior to tearing up, "Oh man I'm sorry, attending R.S. has really screwed me over". Meaning I guess that she has become more emotional attending R.S. The stake president (who is somewhat uptight) was on the stand, but he was cracking up. It didn't really sound right, but considering the maturity level of the speaker, it was perfect and did not detract from the overwhelming spirit. People need to express themselves, be who they are and not a bunch of stepford wives... bunchofhooey is right on!
Alice - The talk was about God as the ultimate example of a father, hence the idea that we should talk like he does. ;)
ReplyDeleteHappy - I love it! I agree, we need to express ourselves as we are. You are a true asset to your ward!
I had two helpings of cherry/peach upside down cake with Dryers vanilla for desert, but the only thing that could have made it better was a couple scoops of Tillamook ice cream. For the main course we had venison roast, potatoes, carots, and the best brown gravy. Having the gransdons around was pretty special too!
ReplyDeleteMmmmmmm. Sounds good.
ReplyDeleteWe will definitely miss Tillamook when we move.
Guitar Hero:
ReplyDeleteI played that or something like that over here a few times before. The drums for it are AWESOME, because you're actually playing the instrument. The guitar... not a big fan, like Emily. Though I am waiting (impatiently) for somebody to make a workaround that makes it possible to just plug in a real guitar, and it'll sense the notes you're playing, etc. They'll have to rework how the game is though, but it's workable, and not too hard I would think. So somebody just fricking do it!
God Talk:
Of course he uses stuff like dude, bogus, killer, great scott, etc... If not, he's blasphemous and I want nothing to do with him.
Really though... How does anybody even know if God even talks or not? He's not human. We are all under the false assumption that God's main form of communication is with vocal chords. What a pity that is... We are such a pathetic species....
Doyle--Agreed on the drums--they also take longer to learn, I think.
ReplyDeleteRe: God Talk - exactly. Yay for speculation! Esp. when it's used to dictate vocabulary! :)